10/10/20 update

     So, I remembered seeing a post on twitter showing the work of a concept artist who used a symmetry ruler to make character designs. I didn't bookmark the post or anything so I don't know who it was but I wanted to give it a shot.


      The first two are just the chamomile and amaryllis design ideas but refined. Chamomile definitely looks more like a nurse now. 
    The third one is based of off an asphodel flower which means "my regrets follow you to the grave". Additionally, "Homer's Odyssey shaped the idea of the asphodel as a flower of regret, referring to the Asphodel Meadows as a section of the underworld...a type of ghostly purgatory". I connected this to the concept of an elder that wanders the streets aimlessly. I was inspired by the costume design for Grizabella from the musical Cats and went for someone that looks ragged and small but not unfriendly.
    The forth one is based on the clematis flower which means "Ingenuity" and "Cleverness". I went for a more general smart person look and I ended up with a librarian. I think this ones my favourite of the ones I've done so far.
    The fifth is based on the cowslip flower which means "Winning grace". Also, "Cowslip gets its meaning from a story told about Saint Peter, the gatekeeper of Heaven." and "...known as the "key flower", because its flowers resemble a ring of golden keys.". So I went for a guard character. I tried to turn the yellow flower into a helmet and the round part that connects the flower to the stem into the torso.
    Lastly, the sixth one is based on a larkspur which means "Levity". Also, "...seedpod of the larkspur is said to resemble the foot of a lark,...The lovely and light song of these birds lifts the spirit, just as the beautiful purple petals of the plant...". Based on this I went for a songstress. I tried to make her look like a performer with the large dress and bright colours. Also I emphasised her chest and shoulders since that's the area where her singing voice is supported.

All quotes from Floriography: An Illustrated Guide to the Victorian Language of Flowers by Jessica Roux




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

15/03/21 update

23/02/21 update

25/10/20 update